This blog is my attempt at tracking recipes that I've tried, generating ideas for new ones, and remembering all the little things that made a recipe extra special! Eventually I'd like to open a bakery, but in the meantime, my friends, family, and workout partners are the lucky individuals who get to taste-test all my creations.

You can contact me at Cupcakes.and.Calderas@gmail.com

For an explanation of where my blog name came from, check out this link: http://cupcakesandcalderas.blogspot.com/2011/06/where-did-blog-name-come-from.html


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Gluten-Free baking FAIL!

One of the recipes in the gluten-free cookbook that I picked up is for doughnuts. I'm usually not a huge fan of doughnuts, but they were baked, not fried, so I was intrigued. Since I was going to be doing some other baking the same morning, I pulled out almost all the ingredients I would need for the day's baking adventures and set to work.

Look at that great picture of a doughnut! Unfortunately mine didn't turn out quite so well...

After mixing all the ingredients together, I did a quick grease job on the doughnut pan and started pouring in some batter. I was able to find the doughnut pan at a kitchen outlet store down in Santa Fe for about $6.


I cooked them for the specified amount of time, and they looked pretty good when I pulled them out of the oven. They didn't fluff up quite as much as I was expecting, but they seemed pretty good.


Once I started turned them out of the pan though, they started falling apart! I was able to get one or two full doughnuts out of the first pan.

At least the one that came out whole looks like a real doughnut! I added 2 or 3 more 'real' doughnuts to my pile from the second batch, and then I added some cinnamon and sugar.

Overall, I wouldn't call the doughnuts anything more than mediocre. I'm not sure if I need to up the cooking temperature some, or just cook them longer, or maybe reduce the amount of oil a little bit. They just seemed a little dense for a doughnut. I'm a much bigger fan of the fluffy doughnuts! But, my mom is a huge doughnut fan, so I might have to mess around with the recipe some more to see if I can perfect it. Maybe there will be a revised gluten-free doughnut blog post in the future... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment